$3.5 billion for First Nations community construction activity
OTTAWA - The 2016 federal budget commits $3.5 billion over five years to support infrastructure in First Nations communities.
Some of those key investments include:
- $1.8 billion over five years to support clean drinking water and the treatment of wastewater for First Nations reserves;
- $732 million over two years to address housing needs on reserves and in Inuit and northern communities;
- $270.2 million over five years to expand and enhance health facilities in First Nations communities;
- $129.4 million over two years for repairs and renovations of First Nations early learning and child care facilities and to support the establishment of a Framework on Early Learning and Child Care;
- $76.9 million over two years to support the construction of cultural and recreational communities on reserves; and
- $10.4 million over three years for renovations and the construction of new shelters for victims of family violence in First Nations communities.
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.